Welcome to Houston!
Notable Birding Trails
For all trails and locations, migration has a big impact on which birds you can expect to see. We encourage visitors to check eBird or iNaturalist lists for what can be found at a given time of year.
- Willow Waterhole Preserve Trails
- Archbishop Fiorenza Preserve Trails
- Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve Trails
- Lorraine Cherry Nature Preserve Trails
Notable Birding Locations
Important 2023 Dates and Events
Spring Migration – March 25 to May 7
- Various events through the migration period including bird surveys, guided tours, and generally great birding at the locations listed above
City Nature Challenge – April 28 to May 1
- Part of the global City nature Challenge, during these dates birders can submit their birding lists to iNaturalist to be part of the global community science effort.
Birdathon – Dates TBD
- Birdathon is Houston Audubon's annual spring fundraiser where participants compete to count as many bird species as possible in a 24-hour period while fundraising for bird conservation. All contributions support Houston Audubon's mission to advance the conservation of birds and positively impact their supporting environments.
Bird Week – September 23 to 30
- Houston Bird Week is a celebration of the important role Houston plays in the journey of billions of migratory birds and the everyday lives of our resident birds. In addition to Houston's vital location along the Gulf of Mexico, the growing popularity of planting native plants, restoring prairies, bird-friendly education programs, and Houston's Lights Out for Birds program were among the many efforts and programs that gained Houston the Bird City designation in 2020.
Houston Audubon and local conservation partners arrange a week of virtual and in-person events centered around our region’s birds and wildlife – from birding opportunities and watch parties to trivia, movie night, and more, there's something for all Houstonians to enjoy. Your participation and excitement will help our city continue to be a welcoming home for birds. Keep up with Houston Bird Week on social media using #HoustonBirdWeek and follow us on our social media accounts at @HoustonAudubon.
Christmas Bird Count – December 14 to January 5
- Houston Audubon sponsors the Central Houston count. In addition, Houston Audubon staff participate in the Bolivar Peninsula, Buffalo Bayou, and Galveston counts.
How you can help, right now
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates about Audubon Texas's conservation work, and news about our activities and local events.